Black - Beatty's Bridge to Hunts Bluff

  • jimdepree
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2002
      Warm weather and high water (Tomahawk gage at
      9.5) made for an enjoyable float for 6 paddlers on
      Sunday. Put in at Beatty's Bridge was at 11:10 with some
      paddlers soon complaining about the heat from the sunny
      day (strange to hear in January). It clouded up later
      with about a ten knot wind at points but, for the most
      part, it was comfortable tee shirt weather. Some deer
      were spotted along with squirrel, turtles, hawks,
      kingfishers, blue heron, and wood peckers. We stopped at Sandy
      Bluff landing for lunch around 12:30 and takeout at
      Hunt's Bluff was at 3:30. We saw many very large, and
      apparently very old, cypress along the way as well as a good
      deal of mistletoe and a few beaver lodges. No
      obstructions were encountered at this level. The river was
      generally wide with good current most of the way. GPS
      distance was 13 miles at takeout. Paddlers included trip
      leader Mary Martha Vaught, Frank and Katie Dupin, Betty
      Rouse, Arrol Ross, and myself. Thanks to Frank for the
      shuttle.