South River Trip 24 Nov

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2001
      Myself and three other brave souls, Frank Dupin,
      Charles West, and Marsha Tai, paddled in the rain today
      on the South River from Melvin's Bridge down to Hell
      Town Bridge. The first bridge is Green's Bridge which
      was 3.3 mile from the put in and Hell Town Bridge was
      another 4 miles. The South does not have a gauging
      station but the water was low and we had several tree to
      "scoot" over and approximately 3 to portage.
      Approximately 2 miles past the Green's Bridge we came upon the
      biggest beaver dam, about 3 ft high but were able to get
      over in a nice rapid. Another beaver dam was
      encountered about a mile down river but we had to portage
      around this one as it was made with two huge trees and
      the beavers had the trees all dammed up. During one
      section on the river a large branch, bigger than a canoe
      came crashing down and almost hit Charles and Marsha,
      missed but got them wet. Scenery on this trip was good
      and the water had an fog cover at times. Wildlife
      were ducks, kingfishers, and a squirrel. The put in at
      Melvin's Bridge is okay, the put in at Green's Bridge is
      better and the take out at Hell Town Bridge was just as
      the name implies. As stated earlier there is no
      gauging station but the Black River which parallels the
      South read 2.1 at 0730 and 2.7 at 5:30pm. Charles was
      able to get about 30 beaver sticks to make hiking
      poles.