Little River (Montgomery County)

  • DLPardue
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2001
      Wow...showed up at the convenience store between
      Highway Bridge # 109 and Eldorado, just hoping to catch
      up with others for an impromptu<br>Uwharrie trip.
      When only 2 others showed and suggested retracing our
      path<br>to run the Little River since it also has a rare
      window of opportunity, it<br>was off we go. The Little
      River is a<br>jewel of a river that few are even aware
      of. To get the castor oil out of<br>the way first,
      yes we had about a mile of reservoir to cross into
      a<br>headwind, and yes we had a mandatory portage around a 50 to
      60 foot hydro<br>electric dam but..then the fun
      started. A technical rock garden popped up<br>upon
      re-entry into the river that didn't give the paddler a
      chance to enjoy<br>the gorge we were descending. Later
      the river lost some of it's punch but<br>the pristine
      beauty of the undeveloped banks and trash free waters
      really<br>made this a trip to remember. Our putin was at a very
      out of the way<br>resort(?) with flags of Southern
      Independence much in abundance and had a small<br>red box
      where we remitted $2 for each boat launched. After
      getting permission<br>to leave our vehicles out of the
      way from the main launching area we shoved off to an
      afternoon of paddling delight. I'll leave the putin
      mysterious so it'll be as much a surprise to the next group
      as it was to me. The takeout was Rt.731, river right
      just before crossing<br>under the bridge. I don't see
      many paddle trips where there is such a
      noticeable<br>absence of riverside development and lack of the trash
      that seems to always<br>accompany said development.
      Thanks to Mike and Liz of the Lumber River Canoe<br>Club
      for suggesting and leading out this alternate trip.
      Wish others could have been<br>there, but there
      probably was something good on ESPN or MTV to keep them
      off<br>the river.<br>SYOTR