Float Report Lumber River 10/5/2013 Big Sweep

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2013

      Thanks to Jim and Mia McDermott, and  Rudol;ph   Floyd  for coming out  to help with this important and traditional event.

      We put in the river at Stephen's Park at about 10:50 AM..It took almost two hours to get down to Bicentinial Park,,(.  Usually a 15 minute paddle)  . We picked up bottles, cans, bait cups and many plastic bags. Most of the bags were hanging in the tree limbs above our heads, a testament to how how high the river had recently been .

      We stopped for lunch at a picnic table jus downstream of the 5th st. bridge .

      Trash pick up  continued until about halfway between First St. and Riverway.Jim and Ruddy said "That's It" Their boats were full. I continued picking up trash for a little ways after that  but soon had all I could carry too. In addition to the other items mentioned, two tires , a broken toilet, and an old computer monitor were picked up.

      The group landed at Riverway, tired  and dirty, at about 3:00 PM. Mac Ledgerton was kind enough to let us put the trash in his dumpsters.

      Marshall Thompson