Disappointing Turnout for Big Sweep

  • James H. Mcdermott
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2013
      Pardon me for the following rant, but I'm more than a little disappointed in the turnout of both my canoe clubs this weekend for our once a year clean up of our two favorite paddling rivers, the Deep and the Lumber.  I know I shouldn't but I'm gonna rant anyway.  The Central Carolina Paddlers and the Lumber River Canoe Club barely had enough members show up to do the Big Sweep.  Big Sweep falls every year at the same time and the clubs put out notice of the event a month in advance.  We have lots of members who enjoy a relaxing paddle on our rivers but few are willing to spend one day a year in helping to keep them clean.  One of Murphy's Laws states that 90% of the work in any organization is done by 10% of the members:  Murphy apparently overestimated the percentage.  On Friday, The CCP had only six members and only two showed up for the Saturday work party.  The LRCC, with over a hundred registered members, could only provide four for Saturday's effort.  Marshall said it has always been thus, but if that's the case, I'm wondering why Mia and I need to put out the extra effort if nobody else but two eighty year old members will do it?  I find myself wondering why so few bother to go to our meetings, lead trips, attend our picnics and parties, and why we bother to spend so much time clearing and cleaning the rivers for the rest of the club.  I know I sound real bitchy right now, but I have just spent the past month of weekends on clearing and cleaning, including two straight days of Big Sweep, when I'd have much rather just enjoyed paddling for the pure pleasure of paddling a bright, beautiful stream.  I must be stupid to think anyone else cares.
    • Gloria Lengel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013

        Same when we only had 5 from the beach to Stephens landing.