Float Report Sept. 28, 2013 Lumber River

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2013

      Five LRCC members met at the landing on Rt. 71 near Maxton at 9:30 AM. This trip was planned as a river clearing trip Bu finding higher water than expected, 8.67 ft on the Rt. 71 gage), there was concern that there might not be water shallow enough to stand and use chain saws. Aftetr some discussion it was decided that we would do that section even though there might be obstacles which could not be cut.. Turns out, Mitch and Jim did use their chainsaws to do some cutting. I cut some small stuff with a hand saw and loppers. We got around or over most of the downed trees easil;y because of the high  water.

      Current was fast making paddling easy. This section  was very pretty today.

      We stopped for lunch at  the "Drowning Creek Reservation" A man there with a young pony came over an dc talked to us. We took out at Old Red Springs Rd. at about 1:00 PM. We plan to go back when water is lower and cut more logs.