Float Report Lumber River Apr. 27, 2013

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2013
      By Friday evening no one had contacted me about todays float. I was at the computer ready to post a cancelation when I got an email from Frank,asking about the trip. On this Chilly morning at about quarter to ten we met at the chicken road bridge. After a shuttle we got on the river by 10:38. Fairly high water and good current made for an easy relaxing float. The river and its environs was beautiful . We saw a hawk. ducks, a raccoon , many and varied other birds and insects such as dragon flies and damsel flies. Lots of birdsong was heard.
      We stopped for lunch at Lumber River State Park's John Culbreth Memorial canoe in campsite. Someone had purloined the trash can but we found only one piece of trash at the campsite, a McDonalds coffee cup which I carried off to the trash.
      I had thought that it was about a 45 minuet paddle from the campsite to Lowe Rd. But we made it in 15 or 20 minutes. The trip including the lunch break took less than 3 hours. This section of river is beautiful this time of year. Recommend you paddle it while the water is up. I'm so glad that I did not have to cancel.
      ',