Trip Report-Horseshoe Lake/Suggs Mill Pond

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2013
      A band of six braved northeast winds and paddled up the right arm of Horseshoe lake on a sunny,65 degree day. Along with me were guest, Susan Pulsipher, Peggy Caddis, Betty Fisher, Paul Rutter, and George Sancho. The desire to see flowering yellow pitcher plants (Sarracenia flava) was worth the effort as they were coming into bloom in large numbers. Tucked in among the pitcher plants are tiny sundews (Drosera capillaris), another insectivorous wonder. They are in bud and tiny white flowers will appear in a couple of weeks. The best of all (in my mind) and just days away from full show are the floating bladderworts (Utricularia inflata). Look for tiny yellow flowers sticking up from a floating pinwheel and that's it! The traps are attached to the root system below water, just waiting for the next meal. Providing the back-drop to these botanical gems are Leatherleaf (Chamaedaphne calyculata) (look like blueberries) and many fetterbushes left to be identified!

      King birds, Anhingas, wood ducks, and turkeys were out for viewing this afternoon, but the granddaddy of all alligators was not to be seen. We went to his home, the big sand rim down the road from the launch, but no luck today!

      Thanks everyone!

      Janet