Trip Report 12/1/2012

  • EmoryS
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2012
      I will resist the inclination to try to explain why four otherwise rational men will drive at highway speeds for hours to indulge in an aquatic activity that does not challenge our paddling or navigation skills. Some often unpracticed techniques were required, however. We exercised diplomatic behavior to an unusual degree with landowners whose cooperation with our intrusion was uncertain. One paddler, at least, improved upon his ability to urinate while seated in a kayak with no spills—a zip-lock bag was involved, or is that too much information? We made peace more or less with changing tides and currents. Some of us experienced exhilaration at completing our only unpaddled section of Paul Ferguson's Northeast Cape Fear River vignettes, seeming to get away with speeding in downtown Wilmington while paddling 5.6 miles-per-hour between a battleship and tall buildings. Last, we all appreciated a feast provided by Omer Register's brother, Jerry, and his family.

      The four paddlers were Walter Bull, Omer Register, Emory Sadler, and George Sachno.

      Emory Sadler