Hanging Rock Trip Report

  • Don
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2012
      A huge crowd attended the bi-annual Hanging Rock Camping and Paddling Dan River outing this past weekend. I counted 27 people which included: Chuck Miller, John Prather, Myron & Dorcas W, Mitch & Pam Lloyd, Bill Walsek, Rudolph Floyd, Don & Sandy Meece, John, & Chrissy Bjorklund, Mike & Liz Britt, Wayne & Lynda Charles, John & Sue Shell, Camille Warren, Peggy Caddis, Stephen Caddis, Betty Fisher, Tom & Diane Pangborn, Zack Isom, Dennis Johnson, and Louise Miller.
      Some campers arrived on Wednesday, setting up camp. On Thursday, several paddlers paddled Section 3 of the Dan River from Jessups Mill down to Hart Access about 6 miles. When these paddlers got back to camp, more campers had shown up. Thursday night the temps dipped pretty low but made for nice sleeping. Friday the paddle trip was from Hart Access down to Hanging Rock Access, Section 4 & 5 in Ferguson's book about 13 miles. We had plenty of water that day but several people including myself were worn out. Saturday, the weather was nice and the paddle trip was the short one from Hanging Rock Access down to the park in Danbury section 6, about 5 miles. Some paddlers opted to do from the park at Danbury down to Hemlock Golf Course about 9 miles, section 7.
      Saturday night was the big feast at Wayne & Lynda's campsite. It was the usual community meal and there was so much food, if anyone left hungry it was their own fault. I left early due to a cold from the cool air Thursday night. On Saturday night, late, the rains started coming and was still raining on Sunday when I got up to see Chrissy and John all loaded up ready to head to New Bern. People were packing up and leaving like flies due to the rain. We did not get to say goodbye to everyone due to the rain. During the day Sunday the rains slacked up and no one went paddling. Those that stayed Sunday were the Charles', Meece's, Britt's, and Whitley's. Sunday night the Britt's had the leftovers and some of us kicked in and we had supper that night around the campfire. On Monday, everyone packed to leave with a little rain and cold temps. Rained all the way to Salemburg for us. It was a great weekend and would have been better for me if I had not caught a cold Friday which I still have and the reason for the trip report to be late.
      The next camping trip to Hanging Rock will be May 15-20, 2013 and it is not too late to reserve your campsite.