Cape Fear River Trip Saturday September 1

  • Walter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2012
      The following paddlers launched from Lillington Wildlife to Erwin on a hot Saturday morning with the water level slightly above minimum. David Allchin, Mack Wicker, George Sachno, Elizabeth Bass,Pat Wells,Dennis Johnson, Jim and Mia McDermott,Louise Miller,Emory Sadler, Omer Register, David Serina, and Walter Bull.
      Some Observations

      There were numerous boats on the water from other groups.
      Omer Register paddles out front as usual. Ten years from now we will be
      saying the same thing, Omer's in front again and maybe he will
      slow down when he is older.
      Numerous birds were spotted including Osprey's and Eagle's.
      Considering Pat Wells and Elizabeth Bass have never paddled this section
      they did very well in spite of David Allchin's advice.
      No one took a unplanned swim.
      Emory Sadler is a pretty man but it was good to have some new faces
      with us.
      Jim and Mia had the usual boat control in their canoe while going
      through rapids.
      Dennis and Louise played in the whitewater as usual. My attitude is
      if you make it through one time why chance it again. They sometimes
      go through the same rapid several times.
      The swim during our lunch stop was very refreshing.
      David Serina knows the Cape Fear River like the back of his hand.
      This is my favorite section of the Cape Fear to paddle.
      The Erwin Park is great, as we were able to drive down to the take out
      to pickup the boats.
      David Allchin among his many talents is a noted weatherman.
      George Sachno was his usual steady self.
      Mack Wicker's newest Kayak has a replaceable strip on his keel, what
      a great idea.
      The Great White Beaver was not spotted, maybe next time.
      After leaving the take out Mack Wicker found a kayak paddle on the
      highway and returned to a member of our group.
      WE HAD A GREAT TIME! See you on the water. Thanks Walter Bull