Lumber River Camping Trip July 14-15 Report

  • Don
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2012
      The annual Lumber River Canoe Camping trip was held this past weekend with a paddle trip from Fair Bluff, NC, down to Rice Field Cove in SC. Paddlers arrived Saturday morning in Fair Bluff, NC boat ramp and found Mitch Lloyd and his entourage getting ready to run a day trip from Griffins Landing down to the Hwy 9 Bridge about 10 miles. Our trip was to be 16+ miles. We had 8 canoes and 2 kayaks on the trip and included: Marshall Thompson who was paddling a dry trip only down to Griffins Landing about 4.7 miles; campers, Pedro Fonseca his children, Catherine and Nicholas, Tom Pawlicki, Rudy Floyd, Mary Groanen, Betty Fisher, Wayne & Lynda Charles, Peggy Caddis, Myron & Dorcas Whitley, John & Sue Shell, and Don & Sandy Meece. We loaded our canoes and ran the shuttle, thanks to Rudy for the shuttle and were back in Fair Bluff and off on our two day trip. Weather was nice and water level had risen through the week from 2.2 ft to about 4.5 ft and there as a nice current. At this water level we also had some nice sandbars and with the heat soon stopped at one for a swim break to cool off. We reached the channel for Griffins Landing where Marshall was to get out and thanks to Tom for assisting him. We made another stop for lunch and swim. Later a light shower came to cool things off but quickly stopped. We arrived at our camping spot, the "Oasis", a nice long sandbar with trees for shade. Most everyone got their chairs and enjoyed a cool beverage before setting up tents. We spent the rest of the afternoon swimming and talking and repairing Rudy's canoe seat. It was time for the community meal. Everyone contributed and we had a nice little feast. Later that night Pedro made the campfire and we sat around telling tall tales and half-truths. Wildlife seen that day were a snake, turtle, and a beaver. At night we heard an owl calling out and soon everyone was in their tents with the only sounds were snores. Next morning after coffee, tea and other such beverages, breakfast was made by each camper, some light breakfast and some with some heavy duty cooking. By mid-morning with the heat, we were ready to start paddling the remaining 5+ miles. We had a swim break and then lunch and a watermelon was shared. We padded the swivel train bridge and knew we were close to the takeout. We reached our destination, everyone loaded up, we loaded Rudy's canoe and gear on our truck to take him back to Fair Bluff. Another great weekend. I will post pictures in an album called "Lumber River Camping July 2012".