Litte Pee Dee Camp and Paddle Report.

  • Don
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2011
      You could not ask for any better weather at the annual Little Pee Dee Camp and Paddle this past weekend. Camping was at the Little Pee Dee State Park east of Dillon, SC and paddling was on the Little Pee Dee River. Wayne & Lynda Charles and Jim & Anne Miller arrived on Thursday, and paddled a section from Dillon, SC down to the Little Pee Dee Access off of Hwy 57; this section is listed in the Paddling South Carolina Guide as 7.9 miles. Wayne reported no portages and not trees across the river that caused any problems. On Friday, the rest of the campers/paddlers arrived and set up camp at the park. This included Don & Sandy Meece, Peggy Caddis, Charles West & Sarah Gibson with Sarah's cousin Frank, Mike & Sherry Jones, Mitch & Pam Lloyd, Diane & Tom Pangborn, Zack Isom, Omer Register, Chuck Miller, and Mike and Liz Britt. Friday night was spent with people going to others campsites and socializing. Saturday's paddle trip was from the Little Pee Dee Access off Hwy 57 where the Charles' and Millers took out the previous day down to the edge of Little Pee Dee Park, the SC guide has it 8.2, however with the high water we had some short cuts and I registered 7.88 miles. On this trip we had nine canoes and 5 kayaks, a good turnout. This is a beautiful section of the river with Spanish moss draped trees and very little development. We saw several deer and some bird life. Mistletoe was spotty on this section. We stopped about four miles down at the Floydale Bridge landing for lunch and soon were back on the water. Thanks to Tom Pangborn for the shuttle and as soon as we arrived, I drove Tom back up to pick up his vehicle. Soon everyone was back at the camp getting ready to the big chili dump that night at the Meece's campsite. Omer's brother Jerry Registered arrived for the feast and he came prepared with all kind of food to go along with the chili. Thanks to everyone who provided either chili or side dishes and desserts for the evening meal. We stuffed ourselves that night, divided out the left over chili, and sat around the fire telling stories and half truths. The night was not without excitement as a camper across from gathering was drunk, threw his tent in a fire along with some other things and ended up spending the night in the jail. Someone else can report about this who was actually there. The next day everyone but Mike & Sherry was slow in getting up and slowly packed up to leave. The Britt's, Chuck, Charles, Sarah and Frank opted to stay another night. Another great weekend, weather was perfect during the day a little chilly at night but the chili took the chill off the coolness. I will post some pictures in an album called "Little Pee Dee Camp and Paddle 2011".