Edisto River, SC-Givhans Ferry State Pk.

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2001
      Sandy and I spent several days/nights at Givhans
      Ferry State Park, near Ridgeville, SC this past week.
      The park is on the Edisto River which is reputed to
      be the world's longest free-flowing "blackwater"
      stream. We stayed in one of the cabins which was nice,
      fully furnished with dishes, linens, and overlooking
      the river on a high bluff. The park superintendent,
      was nice to shuttle us up river to Mas Oldfield (road
      sign has Mars Oldfield but paddle books refer to Mas
      Oldfield). The distance down to the park is 6.5 miles with
      varied scenery from uninhabited to numerous houses and
      trailers. The river was wide, too wide for my liking, about
      50-75 yards, and the current was swift. We took a side
      trip up another creek, Four Hole Swamp, for about .5
      miles to a bridge. The Four Hole Swamp creek definately
      will be on the schedule next time. Wildlife seen were
      turtles and birds. If warmer and on a weekend this
      section will be crowded with jet skiers and fishing
      boats. If anyone needs information on Givhans Ferry
      State Park, or Heritage Outfitters which is further
      upriver on the Edisto which does shuttles and rents
      boats, contact me.