Lumber River US401/Wagram to Stevens Mill Water Intake 7-15-11

  • mitchthane
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2011
      Frank Dupin, Omer Register, Jim and Mia McDermott and I (mitch lloyd) paddled Section 2, US 401/Wagram to Stevens Mill Water Intake, taking our chainsaws, handsaws and loppers to do a river cleaning. We worked on this section twice last year and decided to do maintenance again.

      A freshet of rain had fallen in the area in the last few days and the river has risen almost 2 feet from its lowest level, the water was up a least a foot deep on the concrete boat ramp at the Wagram put-in. The gauge reading for Maxton this morning was 7.25 and rising (it eventually peaked at 7.5 by afternoon). As a result we had plenty of water for paddling and a strong current the whole way.

      There were a few places that our clearing work was absolutely required and we made improvements in a number of other spots, including some cut throughs. At this time and this level, this river section is open with no portages or bump overs. We did see several spots that will be bump overs or even portages if the river drops a foot.

      Ferguson indicates that a reading of 7.4 at the Maxton gauge is the minimum for this section, I believe that 6.5 would be a workable level, but work would be the key word. Maybe 7 should be the accepted minimum at this point.