Float Report Lumber River Jun. 5, 2011

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2011
      What was intended to be a leisurly float from Rt. 71 near Maxton to Alma Landing turned out to be a "Chain Saw Massacre" Water was low. many trees were down but Jim McD was there with his trusty Stihl chain saw with which he butchered logs about every hundred yards or so. He and Frank Dupin hoisted, heaved and carried logs out of the river while Jim's wife "Mia" and I cheered them on. Progress was being made.There would be a clear ,if narrow path for the next group that came down this section. Then a log fell on the chain saw. ending its wood cutting ability for today.We hauled out the handsaw and loppers. The going got slower.Then started doing what no self respecting paddler ever wants to do. We portaged. By the time we got to the tressel we had decided to call it quitts at Old Red Springs Rd, I called Charlotte and asked her to rescue us. We finally marde it to Old Red Springs Rd. Char met us and took us to our vehicles at Rt. 71 and Alma. After loading our boats we went Hardees and had delicious milkshakes.
      Marshall