A message from Mitch Lloyd, President, Lumber River Canoe Club

  • mitchthane
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2011
      The Lumber River Canoe Club is important to me, so important that I volunteered to be president for a two year term. This club helped me to learn to paddle and the good folks of this group literally pulled me out of the river a number of times, showing exceeding patience for which I am truly grateful.

      Before I joined in 2005 and began my paddle journey, the LRCC website was used primarily to announce trips and give details of river conditions for use by other paddlers and that is still its main purpose. As I started to learn this sport, I felt an urge to document my adventures and describe my impressions and I began to usurp this website with my byline Tales From The Tail End. Perhaps, as time has gone by, I have become too zealous. I am not a writer; I fix things for a living and nothing I write has any value. While many people have told me that they enjoy my musings, others have also reminded me that sometimes I can cross a line. Unfortunately, I don't figure this out at all, someone kindly reminds me.

      Let me say, as an individual, as the primary culprit and as the President of this club, that no simple posting is worth causing a single misgiving, nothing I write has enough value to justify any discord or disharmony.

      Our club is wonderful to me and I don't want to see it suffer, but the club is already hurting. While our readership of the Yahoo website seems to be growing, our actual membership may be slipping. The attendance at our meetings is low and the number of trip leaders seems to shrink each year. Rising gas prices will force our members to be more selective of their chosen activities.

      Therefore, I cannot support any non-essential activity that may jeopardize the good nature of our association. My Tales From The Tail End stories, including the current mascot wars, have three times caused concern for various members of our club. So for the good of our club, I will suspend further postings of my personal musings. Without my usurpation, the website can more easily return to its original intent.

      I profoundly apologize to any and all members who have been antagonized by or grown weary of my personal usage of the club's website. I hope that all individuals will join me in helping the club to move forward and remain viable as the most active club in the area.

      Best wishes to all, I hope that all of us can paddle together soon. Life is to short to miss the beauty and the splendor that we find on our rivers.