Rockfish Creek Trip Report

  • Walter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2011
      Eleven Paddlers met at the Wal-Mart parking lot in Hope Mills ready to shuttle at 9:30. CCP members Louise Miller, Emory Sadler, David Serina, Dennis Johnson, and Walter Bull. LRCC members Edward Salisbury, TRIP LEADER Omer Register, Rudolph Floyd, George Sachno, and guests Bill Dibling,and John Mattheu. This was a CCP and LRCC co-trip. After the shuttle we departed the Put-in on Golfview Drive at 10:20 this added 3 miles to the normal 9.3 mile trip. Many obstructions were encountered on the first 3 miles and we portaged a dam. Shortly after relaunching one paddler made a very elegant exit from his Kayak while trying to jump a large log but this worked to some paddlers advantage because he helped several people who were still dry, over the log. He was dressed for cold water so he was reasonably warm. The next stop was for lunch at the power lines which is the normal put-in for this section. Louise fired up her mini-stove and prepared him a cup of hot chocolate. Less obstructions were encountered after lunch but another kayaker hit a snag sideways overturned, while shouting "WHOA" this a much better four letter word than is usually uttered. I think during that split second he remembered his childhood riding a mule. He was dressed in lightweight
      waders and stayed dry and righted his Kayak himself. Omer and a group of us paddled ahead and waited for the other group at a fallen tree. Rudy arrived on his canoe and said another paddler had had fallen in. Omer and Edward paddled upstream to help and found the Kayak under some fallen logs, full of water and very hard to pull out. Louise at this time with the person on shore gave him some of her clothes, a survival blanket, heat pad activated by air,and heated gatorade on her trusty stove. Meanwhile the Kayak was extracted from the logs after a lot of effort in which another paddler turned over while trying to help. The group then proceeded downstream with Omer exchanging his paddle for the wet and cold Kayaker paddle which was much heavier. They arrived at the take-out and were off the water at 6:00 pm. Some observations: If you overturn while Kayaking with Louise and are cold she will give you some of her clothes. If you would like to slow Omer up so you can paddle close to him, during lunch attach his paddle to some type of float send it down stream. He can not paddle as fast with his hands. The hip replacement did not slow his paddling I think he is faster. Prepare for a cold water paddle like you are going to fall in. Did I say most of us had fun and are looking forward to paddling this section again with Omer leading the trip. See you on the water. Thanks Co-Trip leader Walter Bull