New Years Paddle on the Lumber

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Six paddlers in 5 kayaks and one solo canoe cellibrated The new year by paddling the Lumber from "Steel Bridge" to Srephens Park. There was one tree blocking our passage just downstream from the RR tressel. Some of portaged around but Ed (prospective new member)cut a path through the crown with his loppers. Some others got through the hole.Then Ed and new member Arnie came and steddyed my canoe while I got back in.After that it was clear sailing.This is an interesting section which except for traffic noise has a very remote feel in the first couple of miles.After we passed the "govenors Mansion" we began to see houses but there were still interesting tree formations. I was the only paddler today who had done this section before.
      We ate lunch at mcMillans Beach then went on to Stephens Park.
      Paddlers on this trip were Wayne, Andrea, and Destiny Payer and their dog Lycou, Edward Salsbury, Arnie Ronquillo and Marshall Thompson. Thanks to Artie for taking me back to get my van.
      Marshall