Gum Swamp Paddle 12/11/10

  • EmoryS
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2010
      Walter Bull, Rob Coffin, Frank Dupin, Dennis Johnson, Andy Kurtzman, Omer Register, Emory Sadler, and David Serina met at the former Crossway Pond west of Laurinburg to paddle seven kayaks and one canoe about five miles along Gum Swamp Creek to the Barnes Bridge Road bridge south of Laurinburg. This required about 2.5 hours of moving time and another hour that we were stationary. The obstacles were plentiful but manageable thanks to the previously reported scouting and clearing earlier in the week. Shorter boats had a distinct advantage on the tightly twisting waterway; a current was fast enough to require vigilance to keep our crafts under control. The trip was led by Frank Dupin and is reported by Emory Sadler.