Float Report Nov. 13, 2010 Lumber River

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2010
      Today Frank Dupin and I did the scheduled club float from Harpers Ferry Church Landing near Pembroke, NC to Three Bridges Rd. ,a distance of about five miles. Water level at the gage at the Hwy. 710 Br. was 4.91 ft. , enough for a portage free trip. We did have a few low unders, three of which required lying down in the bilge.Yoday was a bright sunny day that started out cool but warmed up enough that i was glad to shed my life vest and sweater at the end of the trip. We stopped for lunch at "Tree Island"Later we arrived at the Tressel in time to paddle beside a long freight train that was going in the oposite direction.
      Wildlife seen included a male mallard that swam along beside us for a while and a flock of buzzards. We took out at Three Bridges Landing at about 1:30 PM after about three hours on our beautiful Lumber River.
      Thanks to my wife Charlotte for the shuttle.
      Marshall