Back in the paddle again!

  • Muskie
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      Finally got back into a canoe yesterday! 20 weeks after ripping my shoulder on the banks of the Deep River, and 14 weeks after surgery, Vikki and I paddled 2 hours, 4 1/2 miles, on University Lake in Chapel Hill. The shoulder was all Rice Krispies, snapping, crackling and popping, but seems fine today. And what is good for the soul is good for the body, right? My shoulder is still "frozen", very little elevated range of motion, but that does not seem to affect paddling a canoe. Might be different in a kayak.
      The lake was beautiful on a cool Fall morning. I am ashamed to say that only living a few miles away this was our first time on the lake in many years. I did not realize the numbers and size of bald cypresses seen on the shore line. Saw several beaver lodges, one freshly covered with mud, a beaver dam and pond, several herons, ducks, hawks, kingfishers and a mature bald eagle.
      Great to be back on the water!