Float Report, Lumber River, 5/29

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2010
      A darn near perfect day on the Lumber. Even the gentle sprinkle we had midway through the run was refreshing and brief. Mia, the dogs and I arrived at High Hill around 8:30 and off loaded gear. While we waited for the rest of the crew to arrive, we spent fifteen minutes picking up a bag load of trash around the boat ramp and parking lot (being named one of the top ten attractions in the state apparently does not impress the yokels who use it for a trash dump). next to arrive were some old friends who have been missed on our paddling adventures for several years - the Florians. Tom, Mary, Grant, and Grant's girlfriend Carol showed up with their poke boats and a sit-upon.

      We waited until 9 a.m. for the rest of the members who had contacted me about joining the float, but when no one showed, we took off on the shuttle to Matthew's Bluff. Half way there, Omer called me to tell me he and Frank were waiting for us at the put-in at Matthew's Bluff or "Did I get it wrong?" Well, at least he had got there early (8 a.m.)
      I told him to wait there and I would load their boats on my van on the return shuttle to the real put-in.

      We finally sorted averything out and got on the river by 9:30. And what a beautiful river it was, running high, fast and clear of any obstacles. We stopped at Charles Hickman's landing for lunch at 11:30 and were back in the flow by 11:50. Shortly after we left Hickman's a big dark cloud overran us, but all we got was a very light sprinkle for ten minutes which only served to cool us off and keep the bugs down. The party chit-chatted it's way downstream and before we knew it, we were at the tak-out at 1 p.m.

      Of wildlife seen were several American egrets, a marsh hawk (Harrier), pileated woodpecker, and several prothonotary warblers. A herd of deer was heard splashing through the swamp just before lunch. Much of the way we were favored by the licorice fragrance of flowering horsetails. Spider lilies were also evident.

      Don, FYI, WE ALL STAYED TOGETHER THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE RUN (even Omer).