Little Pee Dee Camping and Paddling Report

  • Don
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2009
      The weekend turned out good for the annual camping trip at Little Pee Dee State Park and paddling the Little Pee Dee River. Most of the people came Thursday, Dec 3: Wayne & Lynda Charles; Chuck Miller; Mike & Sherry Jones; Jim & Ann Miller; Omer & Doris Ann Register; Dennis Johnson; and Louise Miller; this writer Don & Sandy Meece as I had just finished serving on a jury which ended on Thursday so we could make it down that day. Dennis and Louise paddled Thursday from hwy 301 down to the Little Pee Dee access of hwy 57, before coming to the Park. Thursday night was spent visiting each other's campsite and each set of campers doing their own meals. On Friday Dec 4, we headed out for the first trip as a group, from Floyds Dale Landing down to Hwy 41, about 8.5 miles. The weather cooperated and we had some sun in the morning and clouds moved in. Wildlife seen today were deer and not too much of anything else. The river was clear and we had a few scoot over's. When we returned to camp, Mike & Liz Britt had arrived and set up along with Marianne Hartman and friend George. The gathering on Friday was at the Britt's and with a few showers, but the heavy rains held off until everyone was ready for bed. It rained all night. Saturday morning came with a few sprinkles but we decided to head out for the next day trip with rain threatening. The decision was made to do the trip from Hwy 301 down to Hwy 57 access, which Dennis and Louise did Thursday, since Louise had left for home; Dennis was going to have to make this trip again. We had a new paddler, John (last name unrecalled) from Hartsville, SC joined us. I could not believe the rains did not come and we had a nice place for lunch. This trip we had a few more scoot over's and some trees we had to go around the root balls which the high water helped us. We finished this trip late afternoon. No one reported wildlife seen on this section. Saturday night we gathered at the Meece's campsite for a chili dump and it was really good with the cool weather. Thanks to everyone that brought something to contribute to the meal that night, to include dessert and pre meal hors d'ouevres. Everything was delicious. Sunday, Chuck, Mike and Sherry headed out for another trip, not sure what section as everyone else was lazy getting packed up to go home. A great weekend for paddling, eating and socializing with good friends. I will post pictures later under Little Pee Dee Dec 09. If anyone else has pictures go ahead and put them in the same album.