Club Trip Report Oct 24 Turnpike to Chalk Banks

  • Don
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2009
      The Turnpike Rd access on the Lumber River is once again a giant trash pile. That is where the trip today started for the Lumber River Canoe Club and Cumberland County Parks Trip. Heading out of Fayetteville to the put in we encountered rain and wondered if we were going to have a wet paddle all day. When I got to the put in, loaded with one canoe and six kayaks on my truck, along with Amber Williams, CCP Ranger and her crew; Mitch Lloyd and Omer Register had been at the put in for at least 45 minutes and picked up about 8 bags of trash. Andy Kurtzman arrived before we headed out for the shuttle. We had a total of nine kayaks and two canoes. The shuttle was made by a friend, Skip Eubank, who was waiting for us at Chalk Banks and then we picked up Omer, Mitch and Andy at the Hwy 401 access as they were doing the longer trip. We were on the water by 1000 with Mitch leading the way with his chain saw and Omer right along with him. The water was low, 1.52 and 45 cfs at the gauging station upriver on Drowning Creek, but we had a good current and water was crystal clear. We did not have any pull over's and in addition to Mitch cutting some trees, someone before had cut some larger trees and this was recent. We found a nice place that was grassy for lunch and no one decided to swim. The rain held off, and the weather was nice. At one point a small channel was coming in from river left and I looked up this channel and there was a four foot beaver dam with water the same height. We did not see any wildlife today. Takeout was at Chalk Banks around 1330, Omer, Mitch, and Andy got out to help us load up and we unloaded the trash collected on the river as this was a delayed Big Sweep. It started raining when we left the park and a phone call later tonight to Mitch; he exclaimed it rained all the way to Hwy 401.