Lumber River Float, 8/30

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 4:37 PM
      The river was full but not overflowing; it was sunny but not hot; it was a long paddle but not exhausting; in other words, a perfect day on the Lumber. Frank, Omer, Chuck and Smoky, Andy Kaufman, Mia, Schmidt, Mazy and I put in at 401 at Wagram at 10:30 and took out at McGirt's Bridge at 3:30 in a light drizzle which caught us just before the take-out. The rest of the trip was sunny and warm. We stopped for lunch on a sand bar just short of our usual stop at the old public beach. A few miles further, we took a swim break at a gravel bar that stretched across the river at a depth of no more than three feet. At a swimming hole with a rope swing, Chuck entertained us with his Tarzan imitation, only he hit the water about ten feet from shore. Lucky for him the water was two feet deep or he'd have had real trouble. We encountered a lot of fresh deadfall, but the river level allowed us to bypass all but a couple of the larger trees. Saw some large turtles and heard several pileated woodpeckers in the forest, but other than watching Omer jump every log he could find, there were no other wildlife sightings.