Notes on Saturday's Float

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      I don't know whom Charles West has commissioned to write up yesterday's float on the Lumber River, but I have a few things that need mentioning.
      First, the put-in at Turnpike Road was exceptionally clean for a change. Somebody(ies) spruced up the entire landing, picking up trash, setting up benches, and even erecting a zipline over the river (we did not try it). Kudos to the folks that did the work. Our club members have spent plenty of time trying to do what we can to keep the river clean, and we really appreciate the help. Second, what do you get when you have two chainsaws operating on the same tree at the same time? You get two chainsaws stuck in the tree at the same time. Mitch brought along a spare saw for me to use, and we put them to good use until . . . oh well, you get the picture. Third, a father demonstrated to his young sons the ignorance and unrational fear of snakes by killing a "bad" water moccasin that was not in any way threatening anyone. Now I'm no fan of poisonous anythings, but I see no reason to kill anything out of stupid fear. Those youngsters will grow up to be moronic killers of wildlife for no other reason than that they fear it. Lastly, always be sure to bring along a change of clothes so you can join the group heading over to Cypress Bend Winery for a tasting following the float. Wish we had.