Lumber River, Sunday, 5/31

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Well, we're sorry to have missed the jam on the Coharie, but Marshall, Frank, Mia and I had a good relaxing float on the Lumber yesterday. We put in at Turnpke Rd. at 10:30 and took out at US 401 at Wagram at 2:30.

      Unfortunately, I have to report that residents of Hoke County have turned the otherwise beautiful and serene access at Turnpike into a trash dump. I tried to pick up as much as I could, but the load of bottles, cans, paper trash, and assorted household garbage was just overwhelming. So much for the locals being good stewards of the environment. They must be the lowest forms of human life, if indeed they are human. It's a shame to waste Nature's beauty on such lowlifes.

      On a brighter note, the river was low but ran easy, with only a couple of portages and a few bump/pull-overs. Birdlife was evident with sightings of herons, woodpeckers, and the call of a Barred Owl. At two and a quarter hours into the trip, we reached Chalk Banks and an hour long lunch break in the shade of a big water oak overlooking the bend in the river.

      The float was over too soon, but it was an idyllic time to be on the river.