PeeDee River Trip Report

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2009
      Well - we *planned* to put in @ Fair Bluff and paddle to Sandy Bluff - but, water levels put most of our intended campsites underwater. So - we put in at the ramp just below Hwy 917, and paddled upstream a few miles to our campsite. We found enough high ground to pitch our 12 tents, gathered firewood and commenced the weekend.

      We went exploring upstream, and found a few new paths through the flooded woods to Grassy Lake. We decided that since we found new ways in, that we could probably find new ways out, as well - and we DID!

      Got back to camp, GPS showed a current of 3mph, and w/a littl paddling, we were easily able to make 4+ over the ground.

      Libations flowed well that evening, so breakfast the next morning was spent watching the water rise closer and closer to the fire, calculating rates of rise and determining whether or not we'd need to bug-out early.

      Some more short exploratory trips, a good supper, fewer libations, boats tied to trees, and it was time for bed.

      Got up Sunday morning to the water being up to the fire, so we cooked coffee and breakfast, broke camp, got loaded up and headed downstream.

      Several folks had 7+ hours to drive, a few of the locals decided to run the flood current down to Galivant's Ferry ( took 'em another 2.5 hours).

      All told - it was a good weekend - all unintentional dunkings happened to unloaded boats, the weather was fabulous, and the company was even better.