Float report Lumber River Clean Up May 31, 2008

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2008
      Four good members of the Lumber River Canoe Club paddled from The
      bridge at Chicken Rd. to Lowe Rd picking up trash. Before getting on
      the river we picked up several bags full of trash at the landing and
      a ways below the landing where some trashy people fish. Many bottles,
      cans and bate cups were picked up there. We left those bags to be
      picked up by Neil who said he would do so. More bottles and cans, and
      styrofoam pieces were picked up on the river wedged in strainers. On
      a sandbar on river right we saw a colapsed tent with a bulge under it
      which we were afraid mwas a dead body at first. Investigatiuon proved
      it to be just blankets and pillows. We picked up the whole mess and
      loaded it in canoes. By the time we got to the Culbreth property
      where the new campsite is located we were loaded down with trash
      which we unloaded there for Neill to pick up.After a break at the
      campsite we continued picking up more of the same and also a couple
      of tires still on the rims. We saw lots of fairly large turtles
      today. One stayed on the log as we went past close to it. The others
      slipped into the water when we got too close. We left the last few
      bags and tires at Lowe Rd. Paddlers and hard workers on this trip
      were" Muskie"
      Cates, Frank Dupin, John Husky, and Marshall Thompson, the trip
      leader.
      Thanks to John for taking Frank and me back to our vehicles at
      Chicken Rd.