August 5 Trip Lumber River

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 5:39 PM
      22 people paddled the 4.5 miles from McGirt's
      Bridge down to the bridge at Hwy 71 near Maxton. The
      water level at the gauging station (take out) read 9.22
      ft and we had good current. This was a good trip to
      practice our river rescues as three paddlers turned over
      in their kayaks. Several snakes and a hawk were
      seen. During our lunch break at the Maxton Air Base
      swimming hole (1.7 miles down from the put in), several
      people hiked through the woods to observe the 747 jets
      and other jets in the jet junkyard. We had swimming
      beaks and a good time. Co-leaders of the trip were Don
      & Sandy Meece and Marshall Thompson. Marshall and
      Frank Dupin did a good job scouting the trip on
      Wednesday. Other club paddlers were Tim Hayes, Jim & Mia
      McDermott & dogs, Jim New, Cynthia O'Brien, Rudolph Floyd,
      Bonnie Parker, Bob Guckel, Debbie New, Mary Martha
      Vaught, Jim Depree, Marsha Tai, Jim Johnson, Pam Cline,
      Wayne & Lynda Charles, Charles West and two club guest,
      Shwanda Bowman, Sam Layell. One final note; Rudolph and
      Bob Guckel actually led part of the trip.