Report of Scout, Upper Little River, 5/1

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      Frank, Omer and I scouted the Upper Little River today from NC 27 to
      NC 210, an estimated 12 miles. The river was high and fast and full
      of surprises. First surprise was the sighting of otters at the start
      of the run (I almost ran over one without seeing it until Omer yelled
      at me). Next was how easy it turned out -- we went for nearly an
      hour before we had to exit our boats at a downed tree, and
      altogether, we only had three other haul-overs although there were
      plenty of bump-and-slides and punch-throughs and skirt-arounds. We
      estimated our average speed at 3 mph including lunch break and jams
      (total time on the water was from 10:10 am to 3:00 pm). At about
      mile eight, we came to a small, high speed, two hundred yard channel
      on the right that gave us a thrill ride as it zipped around bends,
      over downed logs, through trees, and under a low foot bridge. At
      another point, Omer and I stopped to gaze in awe at a van-sized block
      of milky quartz on an otherwise flat and muddy bank. A large oak
      had split the block and grown up in the middle of it. The trees on
      this section were some of the largest I've seen, especially the River
      Birches and Water Oaks. We saw no other humans and few signs of
      civilization. The overhanging trees and slight breezes kept us
      comfortable all day despite the brilliant sunshine. Butterflies,
      birds, turtles, and a possible beaver were our companions -- come to
      think of it, there were no bothersome mosquitos. This was a run well
      worth making, at least at this water level.