Trip Report: Rocky River, 4/6/2008

  • ucctgg
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2008
      Rocky River Trip Report: 4/6/2008

      Omer Register and I had planned on paddling the middle Haw today
      from 15-501 to HW 64. I received a few emails advising against it as
      the water level was about five feet about normal. After seeing
      various tree parts rushing over the Bynum Dam we opted for the much
      less paddled Rocky River, aboout ten miles south of the Haw. We did
      Paul Feguson's section 3: HW 902 to Chatham Church Road, a distance of
      8.5 miles. We put in at ll:15 under chilly (55) cloudy skies.
      Less than five minutes into the paddle we were nearly swamped by a by
      a four foot drop into a class III rapid. After that it was pretty
      routine paddling, with stretches of class I, II- followed by fast
      flowing flatwater. I think it is a bit more scenic than the Haw,
      mainly because it is a much smaller river. There is little
      development, though we did portage a 20 foot high dam a mile before
      the takeout. The highlight of the trip was a very large heron
      rookery. Omer counted 47 nests towering above us among six or so
      large trees. They were almost all occupied; with the herons leaving
      and soon returning after we had floated beneath their lofty homes.
      The Rocky can be run when the Haw is too high. Most of the year it
      does not have enough water, but when it does, the Rocky is the road to
      take.