Float Report, Lumber River March 1,2008

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 2:14 PM
      Five LRCC members and one guest, (soon to be a member we hope), put in
      the Lumber at Harpers Ferry Church landing at about 10:30 AM today
      Water level at the Hyw. 710 bridge was 6.7 feet this morning and fell
      to 6.64 feet by noon. There was plenty of water for an easy trip which
      included some logs to go under and around but no portage or pull overs.
      Lunch was at "Tree Island". My GPS gave a distance to Tree Island of
      1.98 miles. I have getting distance readings which seem a little low
      so it might be more like 2 to 2.5 miles. At Three Bridges Rd. where I
      I took out the GPS said 3.86 miles. The Lumber River State Park
      pamphlet gives a diksdance of 5.1 miles for that section of river. I
      believe that is more correct. The other paddlers went on down to
      Chicken Rd. Omer called saying that they got there at about 2:30PM.
      He also said that the new paddler in the group got wet a couple of
      times in the second section. I guess that it was only a matter of time
      until "Pontoon", the lesser god of the Lumber caught up with him and
      babtized hilm into the joys of paddling. Paddlers on this trip were
      Frank Dupin, Chuck Miller,with the good dog "Smokey", Nick Greenwood.
      Emory Saddler, Omer Register, and Marshall Thompson, trip leader for
      the first half of the trip. Thanks to Emory for the shuttle.
    • nick greenaway
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2 5:58 AM
        i had a great time withyou guys, and really learned a lot on my first float.thanx all for being so patient and helpful, especially omer and i think frank? im not the best with names- for sticking with me as i tested the waters temperature at three separate areas.

        i can honestly say the last hour was the toughest, and i wasnt sad to see the take out point- simply cuz by then i had been beat up with all the curves and branches. i really do plan to keep boating with you folks, as long as im still in this area, but when i do, hopefully its something i can handle a little better with such a long boat. yesterday it seemed like i was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

        still, im glad i came out with you guys, and even, yeah im glad i got dumped in the drink a few times. its pretty easy to get in trouble with a narrow boat like mine, and i was glad to have folks like you aroound when it happened. i think if i hadntve dunked in th ewater this time, i may get too confident for my own good in the future. i look forward to future floats

        nick

        �Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.�
        -Theodore Roosevelt