December 2, 2007 Sunday Float

  • kayak872001
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      Yesterday Mitch Lloyd, Marshall Thompson, Omer Register, Chuck Miller
      and his dog, Smoky, and I, Frank Dupin, put in at 10:20 on Gum Swamp
      Creek at Springfield Hill and paddled to the take out at Xway Pond.
      The weather was overcast but not too cold for paddling, there was
      sufficient water, with a nice current, so no hiking was involved, and
      we had only the usual number of expected crossovers and duckunders.
      Several people chose stream-side portages, but we had one cross-country
      portage (to get around multiple logs) of about 50 yards. We had to
      cross over one man-made bridge - consisting of fork-lift pallets placed
      on logs - and we shot the rapids caused by a man-made dam of stone.
      The highlight of the trip was entering what was Xway Pond and paddling
      among the mud flats with cypress tree clumps and their roots towering
      overhead. Check out the pics submitted to the club website by Chuck,
      especially his pics of the cypress clumps and overall view. We were
      off the pond by 3PM but only after there was some contemplation about
      shooting the rapids over the coffer dam. We all decided to wait until
      warmer weather before attempting that task (hah!). Oh, and we only had
      one turnover. Thanks to Omer and Marshall for the necessary shuttles