Float Report, Sat., 11/24

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2007
      Another great paddling day on the Lumber River. Arrived at Turnpike
      put-in to find Omer, Frank, Mitch and Mitch's neighbor, Mike, already
      there. Chuck Miller and Dan Hamilton showed up soon after, and we
      got an early start. The redneck hunters who like to think of
      themselves as sportsmen left us several rotting deer carcasses on the
      banks of the put-in and a dead raccoon a little ways downstream. I
      guess the ignoramuses don't know how to field dress a deer; they just
      like to shoot 'em. Aside from the wonton display of butchery, the
      rest of the run was great.

      Although the level of the river was below average, we only had one
      short portage and several easy bump-overs. At mile five, where the
      river splits around a long island, Frank, Mia and I went left while
      the others took the shorter, straighter right route. Thanks to the
      noise the guys on the right made, a herd of whitetails broke out of
      the woods on the island and swam across the river in front of the
      three of us on the left side -- quite a sight. We also saw a pair of
      Yellowbellied Woodpeckers and a Pileated Woodpecker along with the
      usual duck sightings.

      We stopped for lunch on a bend about a half mile from Chalk Banks (if
      we'd known we were that close we'd have continued to the park for
      lunch). I set up my trusty little propane grill and cooked us all
      hot dogs with mustard and relish and Katie Dupin's maccaroons for
      dessert (I know this isn't up to Don Meece's and Wayne Charles's
      standards, but they sure tasted good anyway; and yes, Wayne, I
      remembered to bring a lighter this time).

      When we got to the park, we found Marshall waiting for us. He missed
      us at the put-in and came down to Chalk Banks to wait. He joined us
      for the two mile run to the take-out at Hwy 401 in Wagram. We were
      on the rive at 10:35am and off at 2:40pm.