Fkoat Report Big Sweep on The Lumber Oct.6, 2007

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2007
      Today five outstanding trash pickers from the LUMBER RIVER CANOE CLUB

      turned out to clear the Lumber of trash from McMillans Beach to

      Stephens Park. Neill Lee,Lumber River State Park Superintendent, met

      us at Hardees and ran the shuttle for us. Thaqnks Neill

      . Stephensd Park was locked when we got there so we went on to First

      St. Landing and left our vehicles there, The group of hard working

      paddlers put in the river at about 10:45. Some trash was picked up

      before we passed under I-95 but most was below I95. There was a lot

      of trash . And of course much of it was hard to free from tree roots

      , branches and other debris. Never the less the three canoes and two

      kayaks were full to overflowing with trash before we were half way to

      Stephens Park. At a city park rest stop we unloaded the trash bags

      so that Neill could pick them up. By then there were twenty two bags of

      bottles, , both glass and plastic, cans, cups, several kinds of balls

      of varing size, chairs, wheels, crates, pallets, a fire extinguisher

      and weay too much styrofome. The group arrived at Stephens Park at

      four PM. We decided to stop picking ur trash at that point but were

      unable to pass all of the most obvious junk that we encountered. Six

      more bags were left for Neill to pick up at First St.Thanks to Frank

      Dupin, Charles Hickman, Mitch Lloyd, and Omer Register , who all did a

      great service to the river and the community.

      Marshall Thompson : trip leader