Float Report, 8/4/07

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2007
      My stock inn Waffle House is starting to pay off as six of us met
      there for breakfast at 8:30 on Saturday morning to plan our day's
      adventure on the Lower Little River from Fort Bragg to Spring Lake.
      Our first stop was at Patriot Outfitters on Highway 87 North to set
      up some ropes to aid in the take out behind the store. After
      enduring another terrifying shuttle drive by Omer, we launched six
      kayaks and a canoe at 9:40. The water level was (surprise) very low,
      and we bumped, scraped, dragged and hauled a lot, but it was all like
      a typical summer run in the Sandhills. About four miles into the
      float we encountered the first of two dams. This was a low one and
      everyone ran it without incident. A mile later, we portaged around
      the second, bigger dam (Frank was notably conflicted about it and
      stopped for several minutes to ponder his chances of making it). We
      ate lunch in the shade of the river birches just below the dam on a
      vast sand bar. Even though we were at the halfway point, the next
      five miles were a lot harder as frequent downfall made for much
      hauling and dragging. We stopped for a break at Tank Creek and
      walked up a trail to a potential access point in a neighborhood on
      the north bank. From there to the take out was about three miles and
      a lot of dragging over shallows. Using the prepositioned ropes, we
      hauled out boats and paddlers by 3:30. Many thanks to Omer for the
      shuttle and to Neil Watkins, store manager of Patriot Outfitters in
      Spring Lake for allowing us to use the take out behind his store and
      for providing everyone with water bottles and Patriot Outfitter tee
      shirts. We saw only one snake today and a duck (even the critters
      were too smart to be out on such a hot and humid day). Paddlers
      included Frank Dupin, Jim Depree, Omer Register, Tom Goodwin, Carlton
      Royal, Mike Hyers, Jim and Mia McDermott and their dogs, Mazie and
      Schmidt.