Dams on the Lower Little River, Fayetteville, NC

  • Mitch Lloyd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2007
      There was an article in the Fayetteville paper recently that
      interviewed the historians and archeologists who work on Fort
      Bragg. I queried them about the dams on the Lower Little River, and
      here is the reply:

      Hi,

      I know of two old dams on the section of the LLR that passes through
      Fort Bragg. Both are old hydroelectric dams from the early 20th
      century. We have a map from 1919 that identifies these structures.
      I've heard or read that power was generated from these plants for the
      Vass and Overhills areas. The lower one had a grist mill associated
      with it. Beyond that we don't a whole lot about them.

      Jeff Irwin
      Program Manager
      Fort Bragg Cultural Resources
      910-396-6680