Trip Report, Black River, 6/30

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2007
      It was with some trepidation that we launched today from Wildcat Road
      to run the 9.5 miles to Ivanhoe. Not only did the weatherman
      forecast storms all up and down the state, and the recent rains
      upstate had not done anything to raise the level of the river in
      Sampson County, but two hapless fishermen who straggled into the
      landing at Wildcat Road reported terrible deadfall upstream to hwy
      41. But with everyone assembled and ready to go, we launched
      anyway. And glad we were that we did. The storms thundered all
      around us, but we did not get rained on until the last half mile, and
      it was a gentle rain at that. As for deadfall, there were only two
      places that we had to exit our boats to drag them around downed
      trees, and each was an easy drag over sand bars. All the remaining
      obstacles were easily passed. With a foot more water, one of the
      portages would have been unecessary. Launching today at 1:30 were
      seven paddlers and two dogs in five kayaks and a canoe: Frank Dupin,
      Nancy Edge, Tom Goodwin, Omer Register and Pat Scutts used the butt-
      boats while Mia and Jim McDermott and dogs were in the old war
      canoe. Omer spotted a great big snapping turtle just after we had
      stopped for a swim. We also saw a Merlin, Pileated Woodpecker,
      Kingfisher, and a cluster of three Great Blue Herons. We arrived at
      the takeout at 5 PM, and Jim DePree met us to help get all our gear
      off the river. He had come up from a float on Town Creek in
      Brunswick County with some fellows he plans to do the Boundary Waters
      with in July. At his suggestion, we all went up to Tienda Dona
      Mary's for some chicken quesadillas and sopes. We all rued the fact
      that our planned cookout and night run was spoiled by the weather,
      but there will be another full moon and fair skies in the future.
      Many thanks to Don Meece and his brother Denny for meeting us at the
      put-in and opening the gate and running the shuttle for us from
      Ivanhoe.