Float Report Lumber River Clean up June 2, 2007

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2007
      Teamwork was the name of the game today as nine members and
      prospective members removed trash from the Lumber River between
      High Hill (access on Rt.72 below Lumberton) and Horse Bluff Landing,
      property owned by Charles Hickman.Many cans, bottles, and pieces of
      styrofoam , bals and other items were picked up. Members helped each
      other by stedying boats while heavy items were removed ffrom the
      river. Heavy items included a childs ride on toy tractor found by Jim
      and Mia McDermott, Several tires still on the rim , and a
      refrigerator found by Myke Hyers. The tractor was hoisted into Franks
      canoe and was left with other trash below the dam at the power plant
      for Park Superintendent Neill Lee To pick up. The refrigerator, in my
      boat was left at Tarlel Bluff with lots of other trash including a
      couple of tires, The boats filled up again by the time we got to
      Horse Bluff Landing. Everyone worked hard all day in the rain. Water
      level was low, about 7,35 ft at Lumberton and 3 ft at Boardman .
      Yhere were places where we had to get out and drag through shallow
      places. There were also several logs that we had to pull
      over.Paddlers helped each other through , under and over the tight
      spots.Members who participated today were Frank Dupin, Mike Hyers,
      Jim and Mia McDermott, Omer Register, and Trip leader Marshall
      Thompson.New prospective members who paddled with us today and were
      a big help were Muskie Cates, Rick Heald,and Scott Layman.
      Jim DePree as usual Put in at the planned take out, Matthews Bluff
      and paddled up to meet us at the put in. However he was feeling ill
      this morning anddecided to call it a day. Thanks to Jim McD and Jim D
      for the shuttle.