Bear Island/Hammocks Beach State Park

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2000
      9,10,11 June - Frank & Katie Dupin were the
      leaders of this camping trip to Hammocks Beach State Park
      on Bear Island, near Swansboro, NC. Other campers
      were Andy Harnsberger, Don & Sandy Meece, Mike & Liz
      Britt and dog Blackie, Anna Marie Davis, Charles West,
      Pam Cline, Jim & Mia McDermott, & friend Micha
      (Friday night only), Mike & Maria Boyle (Sat night only)
      and guests Mark & Rita Demario (Sat night only). A
      real beautiful weekend of hiking, swimming and some
      kayaking in the surf. We did not see any loggerhead
      turtles coming in to lay eggs but on a hike on Saturday
      we saw where the park service marked where turtle
      eggs were laid. This is an enjoyable island with a one
      hour 15 minute (approx) paddle over from the mainland
      to the campground and plenty of bird life were
      observed on the island and in the marsh canoe trail. Night
      time brought good fellowship and tall tales.