Trip Report:: Haw River, May 26, 2007

  • ucctgg
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2007
      The trip was the Upper Haw, 6.7 miles from Chicken Bridge to 15-501
      Bridge. Put-in was about 10:30 an, takeout ranging from 1 to 2 pm.
      We began and ended with a large group of 17 boats and 19 paddlers,
      ranging in age from 5 to 80. The water was 181 cfs, according to the
      "American Whitewater" webpage. Though the water was low, we were able
      to do some class I and perhaps a class II near the end. Only one boat
      flipped, with the flippee remaining refreshed and nameless. The
      temperature was in the 80's so our lunch break on the rocks and in the
      shade of lunchstop rapids was very pleasant. There was considerable
      rock dodging, so I wouldn't recommend the trip at a much lower level.
      At the takeout there is very nice handmade map of the Upper Haw,
      detailing the rapids in some detail. Thanks to whomever made it.
      I am missing one person, but eighteen of the paddlers were:
      Club Members:
      Omer "thanks for the shuttle" Register
      Frank "off to the races" Duplin
      Jim "wormhole" Dupree
      Debi "bring those brownies" Bard
      Paul "he wrote the book" Ferguson
      John Shell
      me, Tom Goodwin

      Guests:

      Ceara Stringer, Laura Lapkauskaite, Jack and Kathy Imbriana,
      John Parsons, Ben, Mame and Sam Fleming, Scott Gee, Spencer Gee and
      fiance' Tamara.