Report of Float, Sept. 30.

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      Jim Depree, Frank Dupin, Mike Hyers, and Omar Register in kayaks, and
      Dave Allchin, Mitch Lloyd, Mary Martha Vaught, and we, Jim and Mia
      McDermott and dogs in canoes, launched on the Lumber River from
      Willoughby Road about 10 AM today. Conditions were perfect for a great
      day, and we had one. Even Mitch skipped the usual (for him) unexpected
      swim or sacrifices to Pontoon, the river god (maybe his and Marshall's
      continuous singing of "The Wreck of the Wenona Weenie" appeased
      Pontoon -- who knows?). In fact, we had a perfect game today -- no
      dunks, no spills, and no lost gear. Jim D. kept to his routine by
      paddling upstream from the take-out at Boardman to meet us at the put-
      in. He reported seeing deer, snake, beaver, and sundry birds (of
      course, on the downstream trip, we saw none of that). We did see
      turtles, woodpeckers (including a big pileated that flew directly over
      Mia and me), and we heard a barred owl calling from close by. We
      stopped for a rest and a snack at Buck's Landing, then, later for lunch
      at Piney Island. We hated to see the bridge at Boardman, but we were
      off the river by 1:30 PM.