Lumber River Trip June 24,2006

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      Bell South finally got the cable repaired giving others and me back
      our phone and internet service which has been off since Friday
      morning, Here then is my float report.
      We put in Lumber River at the Alma Rd. Landing at about 10:15 AM.
      Frank,and Omer headed on down stream followed by guests of the club,
      David Edwards and John Shell. I waited for Mike Hyers ,and Harry
      Shaw, and Dick Wilcox, another guest and prospective member to get in
      the water. Those behind me followed me down the right fork that took
      us down beside the railroad trestle and eventually under the
      railroad track.We had only one rough spot where there was a new
      treefall. We had a tight go under but no exit was required. We
      passed McKoy Morgan's house on river right then farther down passed a
      campsite with a tent set up but no people.About half a mile farther
      down we caught up with Frank and Omer who had stopped to wait for us.
      I asked about the other two guys. Frank and Omer had not seen them. I
      knew they must have taken a wrong turn in the swamp. Fortunately
      Dick was able to call them on his cell phone. They had passed the
      house and had just arrived at the abandond campsite. We waited until
      they caught up thenpaddled on to the "Wire Pasture" where we stopped
      for lunch. There was a lot of trash at the wire pasture left by
      people who come there to swim and or fish. Some folks drove up while
      we were there . From the wire pasture to The Indian Cultural Center
      was about a 45 minute paddle. Frank and I decided to take out there.
      Others oped to go on to Harpers Ferry Church. Frank did the shuttle.
      Thanks. Thanks also to Omer who did the morning shuttle. We hope that
      Dick, David and John will join the Lumber River Canoe Club. The
      mailing address is PO Box 7493 Lumberton,NC 28359