Scouting Report, Drowning Creek

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2006
      Frank, Omer, Omer's friend, Randy, and me (Jim) put in at 9:45 AM on
      Drowning Creek at Hoffman Road today (2/23) in four kayaks. Creek was
      flowing fast and level was good given the previous night's rainfall.
      In fact, it was still raining when we started. The creek wound through
      unihabited woods and swamps the entire way, and early on, there were
      few obstacles requiring portages (those came later). Omer's friend had
      a spill about an hour into the run, and in an amazing act of kindness,
      hospitality, and consideration (and something else which escapes me for
      the moment), I, myself, showed the newbie how to fall in properly --
      three times! (Now I know why it's called Drowning Creek). Fortunately,
      I had left my dry bag in the car at the take-out or I wouldn't have had
      any dry clothes to go home in. Fortunately, too, the weather cleared
      up and the sun came out by noon. Frank disappeared for the last hour
      of the trip, having found a channel off the mainstream to follow. We
      found him at the take-out. We escaped the creek around 1:30 PM. This
      is definitely NOT do-able in a canoe (and not recommended for kayakers
      with inner ear problems).