Scouting Report -- A Bridge Too Far

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      On Thursday, 2/9/06, Frank Dupin, Omer Register and I (Jim McDermott)
      scouted the Black River of Harnett County from Hwy 421 in Dunn to
      Arrowhead Road outside of Erwin. On the chance that the river would
      prove too unnavigable, we left a vehicle at an intermediary bridge
      just in case. Well, the entire run was clear of obstacles and took
      no more than an hour and a half. Soooo. . . we decided to put in at
      another bridge only a couple of miles upstream from Hwy 421. This
      proved to be a bridge too far as we struggled through a swamp filled
      with downed trees and cypress knees and the largest beaver dam I've
      ever seen (had to be three hundred feet or more long and four feet
      high). The bad part was that there was no clearly navigable route
      downstream from the dam. We scouted around until we could see a
      stream below the dam that looked do-able. It wasn't. We did it
      anyway. After an hour of alternately scraping over, squeezing under,
      and dragging around the many obstacles, we finally broke out into a
      clear run. We hadn't gone maybe ten yards when we entered the main
      stream which flowed clear as far as we could see upstream -- don't
      know how we missed it (those darn beavers). Anyway, it was an
      exhilerating experience and one which we will remember (in case any
      of you think you're ever going to get us to show you the way).