Float Report, Saturday, 1/27/06

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2006
      With three sturdy friends, my wife and I navigated Drowning Creek
      (Lumber River) from 15/501 to Turnpike. Our predictions for an easy
      run (based on a scout when the water level was 16 inches higher) were
      slightly off, and we had numerous bump-overs, drag-acrosses, and
      stumble-arounds on this occassion. Nevertheless, the day was bright
      and warm (thank goodness for the guy who stepped up to mid-thigh on a
      stumble-around) and the company exceptional. Accompanying the guy who
      stepped up to mid-thigh was his wife, Mia, and their two dogs,; trusty
      scout, Frank Dupin; noted dead end explorer, Omer Register; and group
      psychologist, Jim Depree. Surprisingly, the float took only three
      hours including lunch. Saw lots of birds including wood ducks,
      pileated woodpeckers, hawks, and sundry others. Frank claims to have
      seen a retreating "bushy tailed" critter, but we all are used to Frank
      by now. Frank had previously recorded a herd of whitetails on the way
      to the put-in, but we didn't let him count that. We plan to continue
      to search for the headwaters of the Lumber River over the next few
      weeks providing, of course, the water level rises.