Gum Swamp Creek Thursday January 12, 2005

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006
      Today Frank Dupin led an exploratory trip down Gum Swamp Creek from
      Barnes Bridge Rd. In Laurinburg to Pea Bridge at the NC / SC line.
      Fog which limited our vision this morning soon burned off giving us a
      beutiful day for paddling. We put in the creek at about 10:30 with
      fairly high water and good current. About five minutes into the trip
      I made a sharp right going fast and took an unexpected butinvigerating
      swim. The Jims and Omer rescued my boat and belongings after which I
      changed into dry clothes which took a while.We headed on down the
      creek winding along past cypress and holly trees. The creek pases
      through the Scotch Meadows Country Club where we passed under many
      attractive foot bridges. We stopped for lunch on a high bluff which
      according to Jim DePree's GPS had been a railroad track at one time.
      There was a long trail on both sides of the river but no bridge or any
      sign of rr tracks. There were many tight manuevers and some low unders
      but no portages or pull overs. We took out atPea Bridge at about 1:30
      to find thad I had not turned the lights of my truck all the way off
      which left me with a dead battery. Again Jim and Jim came to my rescue
      with jumper cable and another charging device. Thanks again guys.
      Paddlers on this trip were Frank Dupin, Omer Register, Jim DePree, Jim
      McDermott and Marshall Thompson, the writer of this report.