Float Report

  • jimmiamcd
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2005
      Took 2 boy scouts and one parent on an overnight outing to Pettigrew
      State Park on lake Phelps on Nov. 19/20. Paddled the Scuppernong River
      from Cross Landing Road to Columbia (c. 9 miles). The weather was
      perfect (50s and sunny), and the river was beautiful. There is
      absolutely no signs of civilization on this stretch (if you discount
      the occassional sounds of traffic on hwy 64 in the distance). Trip
      took about four hours with two stops. There are wooden platforms for
      rest breaks about every two/three miles, and those are the only places
      to get out (although we did land at a spoils mound at a canal entrance
      and had to muck our way in and out). We saw only one other boat
      (outboard) on the trip which is probably why we saw so much wildlife
      (otters, deer, hawks, woodpeckers, geese, ducks, fish, herons,
      kingfishers, et. al.). Back at camp that night one of our scouts
      stayed awake long enough to hear the red wolves howl. Coming back home
      across lake Mattamuskeet, we stopped to admire the tundra swans and
      snow geese and other assorted waterfowl that congregated near the
      road. All in all, highly enjoyable.